Her name was Evangeline!

 


Today is Mother's Day. And while many are with their moms today celebrate them, I lost mine in 2009 just days before her 64th birthday. I was her caregiver for a good nine years while she was on dialysis. That was a record . Most people don't last that long especially as sick as she was. People always remarked about her sunny and joyful disposition. No matter how she felt that day. She rarely showed impatience. I do know she hated that everyone called her Betty, which was her first name. She wanted to be called by her middle name, Evangeline. But people would mangle it, or call her something so totally different, so she just told them to call her Betty. 

Once she told me she wanted a tattoo of a star. I wish I had found a temporary one for her.

She was also quietly funny. She would just say things that would surprise people that it came out of her mouth. She took a writing class once and would write the funniest things. She should of published some of her stories. But she was also a bit shy about them.

And she never really thought about herself. Too busy raising four kids and taking care of my stepdad. 

She dreamed about traveling.

She loved game shows. I could hear her in her bedroom watching them and yelling at the contestants. "Why did you take/not take the offer?" and "Hit the whammy!"

She would also sit in there and listen to preachers. Some I approved of. Some not so much. Maybe she found entertainment in the Chiasmatic preachers. I hope she also found comfort in the others. I don't know if she was saved. I pray that she was an I will see her again one day.

She wanted to hold my cats so I would pick them up and put them in her lap. They would tolerate the petting for a moment than get down. You know how cats are. But Barnabas was good about alerting me when her sugar dropped. And she would laugh when we were in bed (yes, I slept next to my mom. So I could be near her.) and me and Nico would talk about our day.

We lost her suddenly. One minute she was good. The next she was gone. Her blood pressure fell and they could not get it up. The doctors told me she was dead as soon as she lost consciousness.

She loved butterflies. Stars. And the color blue. 

And her name was Evangeline!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obstacles

The Ocean Calls

Summer Impression 1 for sale---#101